The transition to the Utility Network involves a very different way to model your data than what you probably have been doing today. Over the last year, I’ve led multiple UN data migration sessions, have had many conversations and witnessed decisions having to be revised once the data makes it into the UN. And now I’m willing to share some of those things with you.
When considering the move to the UN, there are many things you can start considering now and give yourself a head start in the process:
- Do you want to use assemblies?
- Do you want to expand your data model?
- What attributes come straight across vs. not?
- What do I do with my own utility business process attributes that have nothing to do with the UN?
- There are a LOT of attributes in the UN…do I need to use them all?
Get started on the UN data model now to save time in the future.
- David Miller, SSP Innovations